Saturday 5 June 2010

The meaning of life


Sometimes I spend *far* too much time musing on the meaning of my life, whether I'm living the life that is most complete and most fulfilling. I had a bit of an epiphany the other day. It's nothing I don't already know, really, but something just made my thoughts crystalise on that day. The most important thing in my life - aside from family and friends - is music. Playing it, listening to it, talking about it. When I'm feeling morose, I use music to match my mood, to let me wallow in those feelings, or to lift me out of them. I use music when I can't express a part of myself. It defines me. And so whatever I choose to do with my life (no, I haven't decided yet, even though I'm nearly 35!) music must be at the heart of that. Here's a picture of me when I was doing a gig at the Brighton Festival, sitting and thinking during one of the instrumental numbers.
(Photo by Mat Thomas)

3 comments: